I SUCK at MANY things!
IamNOTaCEO.com Blog/Essay/Whatever #3:
Strengths & Weaknesses #SelfAwareness
With 15 years experience in startups (including: VC-funded, angel-funded, bootstrapped... acquisitions, asset-sales, dissolutions... successes, failures...), I've seen/learned A LOT - not only about the startup world in general, but about myself as an entrepreneur. I have become keenly aware of my (few) entrepreneurial strengths... as well as my (many) entrepreneurial weaknesses!
WARNING to Future Employees & Partners!
TOP 12 THINGS I SUCK AT:
- I SUCK at organization.
- I SUCK at execution.
- I SUCK at operations.
- I SUCK at follow-up.
- I SUCK at follow-through.
- I SUCK at presenting / pitching / selling.
- I SUCK at networking / schmoozing.
- I SUCK at employee-management.
- I SUCK at money-management.
- I SUCK at project-management.
- I SUCK at time-management.
- I SUCK at stress-management.
In response to the list above, many will say "Well, then clearly this guy doesn't have what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur - because he literally just named ALMOST EVERY IMPORTANT CRITERIA for being a successful entrepreneur!"
I get it. And I completely respect that opinion. Heck, it's exactly what I would say if the person we were talking about was almost anybody/everybody else!
But I would argue that I actually just listed criteria more applicable to being a successful CEO or COO... and that it is possible (albeit more challenging) to be be a successful FOUNDER and/or a successful ENTREPRENEUR even if you are NOT the CEO/COO type... particularly if you are self-aware enough to truly understand your strengths/weaknesses and create the projects and programs necessary to attract execution partners with complementary skill-sets!
Soooo, I listed above some of the MANY things I SUCK at... There are, however, a FEW things that I'm
pretty f*ckin' great at...
- I'm an innovative thinker, an imaginative re-thinker, an inventive problem-solver, and a great strategy/vision/intuition guy. My (relatively unique) experience/expertise is creating, recognizing, and/or evaluating concepts and content with the viral potential to resonate with large/diverse audiences, intuitively recognizing many factors (the art, science, psychology, math, etc.) impacting virality and differentiating an “idea” from what I call an "IDEA+++"
- I was at my creative best (numerous viral ventures, engaging millions of people, huge amounts of viral buzz and national media coverage) back when I was embracing my “Entrepreneurial A.D.D.”, working on many ideas/projects simultaneously. I intend to get back to that in 2017 and beyond - IF I can successfully attract the right execution partners and assemble teams of entrepreneurs with complementary skills sets...
- Will ALL my ideas/ventures be successful or go viral? Of course not. But I’ve achieved viral traction with ~12.5% of all creative concepts/content I’ve launched over the years; so, with the quantity / quality of ideas, products, content, startups I plan to launch (and StartupWhatever.com strategies of shared resources, economies of scale, and the cross-promotional “Network Effect” of it all!) - and *IF* I’m able to find some great execution partners - I'm extremely excited and optimistic about our plan for 2017 AND BEYOND!